HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Types of tanks

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alveia

PostSubject: Types of tanks   Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:08 am

I saw this posted on the WoW forums and thought I'd post it here. What type of tank am I? Be honest.

Quote :
We've all seen them: The Tank, the class no group would be without. All tanks come in different sizes and personalities. As a gamer who has played WoW for over 4 years, i have seen many tanks, and I have noted their playing styles and personalities. Here is a list of some of the most common tanking personalities. Which one fits you the most?

The Peter LaFleur: This is your average, laid back player. He doesn't get mad when the group wipes, though it does annoy him. He understands if you have to leave the group suddenly, and is even willing to tank random pugs. As such, this tank is few and far between the others. If you find a tank like this, you should consider yourself lucky, because there aren't too many of them out in the WoWverse. This tank fits the personality of guild leaders, college students, casual, grown players, though hardcore raiders can sometimes have this personality.

The Strategist: This tank will be a cold, calculating member of your group. He knows the in and outs of every instance, knows how to tank each boss, how to handle difficult pulls, and knows what each member of the group should be doing during each encounter. He will also explain each and every nuance of an instance to you, taking up a moderate chunk of your time. It can be annoying and frustrating listening to him explain a boss encounter that you've experienced probably a few hundred times already. There is little risk having this tank, if you can stand the constant explanations and delays.

The General Patton: This tank is similar to the Strategist in that he is experienced in instances and encounters, but is less pleasant. He will know when you're doing too much dps to pull agro, when the death knight is attacking in frost presence, and when the hunter has growl on, and he will happily yell at the member to fix whatever is wrong, lest the member be kicked from the group. If anything or anyone is out of line, he will curse and shout, as well as threaten to kick, any DPS that aren't in line. There is no risk with this tank, because he has likely kicked the retarded DPS and Healers from his group, and is a good choice if you're okay with grouping with Adolf Hitler

The McFly: This tank is unsure of himself and his tanking abilities, so he tentatively approaches each encounter. He will often delay a pull waiting for the healer and any casting classes to get full mana, which is beneficial to those classes in that they will never enter a battle with less than 100% mana, but melee classes will be a bit annoyed at the constant waiting they aren't accustomed to suffer. This group may wipe a few times because the tank may lack the gear for the instance, but it wont be due to his recklessness

The Rambo: This tank is the exact opposite of the McFly. Due to having epic gear, this tank is confident in his tanking abilities, and will become bold and take risks (i.e. pulling two groups of mobs, or an entire room of mobs) which can irritate the healer and cause undue stress. However, his actions can either make the group split up, or finish the heroic in much less time than needed on average. Because of this, this kind of tank carries significant risks in a group, but if the healer is geared enough to handle his gaming behavior, it will be a quick run.

The "How I Mine For Fish: You don't want this tank in your group, not even as a last resort. This tank does not understand the term "Tanking". You've probably seen this type in lower level groups. He is specced arms or retribution, does not own a shield, and does not understand instances or grouping. You probably have invited him thinking he's a Peter LaFleur, until you saw his gear and watched him tank. This tank is most likely a clicker and keyboard turner, a death knight, or someone's brother sharing his account with the more experienced player. Avoid this character like AIDS.

Serene Highness
Serene Highness

PostSubject: Re: Types of tanks   Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:32 am

A good blend I'd say. When you get comfortable with the pulls and stuff I remember you getting really Rambo and running me dry a lot in BC, and would do the same in Wrath if paladins went oom ever in it. When it was all still new though you were more like the Strategist, figuring it all out, then when it was easy, Rambo mode kicked in.

On your bad days you're like The Patton and more like the LaFleur on good days.

I know if I have a healer I can count on like Phil or John (Ashley never heals for me. I don't thin she trusts me ;_Wink then I get kind of Rambo sometimes in 5 mans, but I try to keep myself to the LaFleur, even when I want to go Patton on their asses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
triviate
Serene Highness
Serene Highness

PostSubject: Re: Types of tanks   Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:03 pm

Well... since the Flappy Headed Canadian isn't on there im gonna have to go with the How i Mine for Feesh. /ducks and runs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cnorris

PostSubject: Re: Types of tanks   Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:22 pm

triviate wrote:
Well... since the Flappy Headed Canadian isn't on there im gonna have to go with the How i Mine for Feesh. /ducks and runs

lol "Avoid this character like AIDS!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Types of tanks   

Back to top Go down

Types of tanks
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
We Have a Tabard :: Public Forums :: General Chat-
Jump to: